Re: Forced sale of Microsoft OS with notebooks in the EU

  • Subject: Re: Forced sale of Microsoft OS with notebooks in the EU
  • From: "Darth Chaos" <DarthChaosofRSPW@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 20 Jun 2006 00:14:37 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> To add insult to injury, the license then enables you (the customer) to
> become subjected to spying on a daily basis. It's like everybody who buys a
> computer is forced to be tagged; yes, just like an animal. Governments have
> always fancied GPRS and RFID technologies. Look at the freedom (and Freedom)
> of the Internet and how governments rob us from it. They take it all away.
> Net neutrally says goodbye to freedom (as in free beer), whereas censorship
> says goodbye to Freedom (as in free speech). Industy, much like country,
> wants to be in control and stay in control.

Exactly. Why do you think Windows has all those security holes? So it
will be easier to spy on you...some security holes can allow hackers to
view the contents of your hard drive. And I saw some program called
Loki (saw it on ZDNet downloads, I think) which, when integrated with
Windows and Internet Explorer, turns your computer into a virtual GPS
device. I remember back in 1999, people were predicting that "within a
few years, all laptop computers will have built-in GPS chips". And now
there are laptops with built-in fingerprint scanners. I imagine within
the next 5 years some ISPs (probably big-name ISPs like AOL and
NetZero) will start to abandon the "username and password" format of
logging in in favor of a digitized fingerprint log-in.

I was watching one of Alex Jones' movies yesterday : "Police State 3 :
The Takeover". He mentioned that laws have been passed which declare
computer hackers to be terrorists. If that's the case, what would
happen if the government decided that Linux is a tool of hackers? Would
that turn Linux into a terrorist tool? Would that result in people who
use Linux being arrested for terrorism?

And here's another thing people might not be aware of : Many websites
are able to tell what operating system you're using. What if one day
Microsoft decides that the only computers allowed to access any of
their sites are computers running Windows?

I imagine the Microsoft corporate mindset is "If we can't have the
marketplace, nobody can". Would Microsoft deliberately attempt to
destroy the computer marketplace if they lose lots of marketshare to
Linux and/or Apple?  Who knows?