Re: [News] Computer Maintenance is for Faulty Operating Systems

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> 20 Great Low-Cost Utilities
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Your PC (READ: Windows) is a complicated piece of machinery. It
> | probably has thousands of files, hundreds of folders, and any
> | number of things that can break, disappear, or otherwise behave
> | unexpectedly. Fortunately, there are plenty tools that can help
> | you control the chaos. I looked at four important types of
> | products that everyone should be familiar with: file managers,
> | hard-disk utilities, desktop tools, and performance enhancers. I
> | opted for products that were effective, easy to use, fun to try
> | out, and, most important, free or low-cost.
> `----
>
> http://pcworld.com/resource/printable/article/0,aid,126037,00.asp
>
> Linux sucks. It doesn't have these 20 utilities. I guess it just
> doesn't require them.

What I find odd, is that Windows user equate defragging, virus
checking, Spyware hunting, Registry fixing, and general damage
limitation exercises, with the concept of "fun".

Yeah, sounds like a great laugh.

Personally, I'd rather play games, build websites, create photo
galleries, surf the Web, read messages, watch DVDs, and listen to
music.

And do so without having to worry about the system falling over,
becoming irrecoverable, and necessitating a Wipe'n'Reinstall®, because
the OS is so fragile, full of holes, and completely lacks some of the
most basic built-in tools for diagnosis and recovery.

Then again, under Linux, one so very rarely even *needs* to perform
any kind of "emergency recovery" (except for hardware failure), since
the most typical thing that goes wrong is a BadlyConfiguredClient® - a
problem that is usually completely transparent, and fixable in 60
seconds using the man page and a text editor.

But yeah, let them de-b0rk that Registry ... whatever pumps their 'nads.

--
K.