Re: Why Has Linux Not Conquered the Desktop, Yet?

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:39:15 -0700, Yaw Lim wrote:

> Linux is stable, does everything you want, all those things are
> correct. But easier than Windows is probably not among one of those.

These days, it's not that much more dofficlt, if at all, just different.

> 1) too many distros

Not 'too many', just 'a lot to chose from'.

>     - sure, it's a freedom of choice
>     - some might even say it's a form of democracy
>     - but normal desktop users just want to have something
>       that works
>     - new users will hopefully be lost if they don't invest
>       significant time to work this one out

Like I said before, it really comes down to a choice between a handful of
major distros, in most cases. The magazine Linux Format is releasing
occasional specials with up-to-date distros like FC5 and Mandriva and
SUSE, complete with a feature packed magazine dedicated to introducing a
newcomer to the joys of Linux. They're very good, an excellent starting
point. There are also a number of books which serve the same function.

> 2) if you hit a problem with Linux
>     - of course there are these army of volunteers at various
>       user forums willing to help you
>     - everyone is ready to put in their 2-cents worth, so about
>       10-20% of the answers are probably useless or even point
>       you to the wrong direction
>     - while it's open, it also means no one is responsible for
>       whatever goes wrong

True, but as far as a desktop user goes, that's much the same for Windows.

> 3) software updates for Linux
>     - FC uses one tool, SuSE uses another, who knows what other
>       distros are using?
>     - Will a new user be able to handle this?

Don't see why it should be any problem, myself. Most new users aren't
going to to worry about the tools other distros are using, since they'll
be concerned with what their own distro uses..

And in general, such tools work in a roughly similar way, so it really
isn't that hard to switch from one ot another once you grasp the basic
principles.

<snip rest>

--
Kier