[NEWS] Windows: A Genuine Disadvantage( was: Windows Has Genuine Advantages)

On 2006-06-18, au714@xxxxxxxx <au714@xxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> [IP] Another Windows Genuine Advantage screw up
>>
>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>> | I was not amused to find out that the reason it had stopped monitoring
>> | was that at 3am Windows Update had loaded the Windows Genuine Advantage
>> | module, then rebooted the system after installing it, then refused to
>> | allow the system to start up until someone clicked on the box warning
>> | that the Dell supplied Windows Xp was not genuine.
>> |
>> | How long until some critical system is screwed up by this?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200606/msg00121.html
>

> Why does Microsoft list it's Genuine Advantage tool when I go to update
> my system?  I registered my (licensed) copy of XP when I first booted.
> Doesn't MS know this?  MS should already know my system is "genuine".

They may be trying to undo what they did in the beginning. It's been
the case that after a certain amount of time (180 days? 120 days?) the
copy that was registered to a machine could be reregistered to the same
or another machine without causing problems. So it's possible, in
theory,* to have more than one machine registered using the same codes.

Times are troubling for the M$-Redmondites. There may not even be
another tomorrow after Vista hits the streets.** So they might be
soaking as much out of XP as they can now before they force themselves
into bankruptcy later.***

They might also be doing this out of plain ol' greed, not really
concerning themselves about the future. Or maybe the reason is the same
one for many of the other gaffes they created: stupidity.

*   In theory a lot of things are possible. That doesn't make them
    probable. It's hard to imagine 2 or more machines, still running
    without needing to be reinstalled, with the same keys used for both,
    that far apart. But it's certainly possible. Theoretically speaking.

**  Office may not be the big savior the Windummies think. The XBox is
    losing money. Still. With nobody credible that I've seen claiming
    they expect it to make anything any time soon. Their desktop
    monopoly is falling apart.  Slowly, but evaporating just the same.
    The embedded market isn't moving their way so far. Despite claims
    by the likes of Ewik (The Weasel; FUDman; The Tap-Dance King; Liar
    5.0) their part of the server market isn't taking the world by
    storm. They've taken in the shorts on the browser side of things.
    Their mascot/guru has set a date certain that he's not going to
    take the blame for certain disaster. They have a multitude of
    lawsuits in numerous countries against their monopoly/mon0opolistic
    practices. Their stock price isn't doing a stellar job of things
    (down nearly 12% in the last year <http://tinyurl.com/n4x9t>). All
    in all, it's been a pretty good year for progress, and the future
    is shaping up even better.  With a lot of help from the crooked
    monopoly. Everybody give 'em a big hand! They've earned it!

*** With any luck.

--
Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it.
  -- Woody Allen