Re: [News] DRM, Monopoly Debates Reach EU

__/ [ Kier ] on Saturday 17 June 2006 20:10 \__

http://news.com.com/European+officials+cautious+on+iTunes+antitrust/2100-1028_3-6084688.html?tag=nefd.top

>> BBC had a little piece on the news the other night. If you buy a CD you
>> can sell that on OK, but apparently if you sell your iPod on ebay (or
>> wherever) and it's full of music, that's illegal. The person who buy's the
>> iPod has to go to the expense of downloading all that music again.
>>
>> Now what sort of a cretin(s) passes a law like that!
>
> Actually, in a way I can see the rationale behind it. We're allowed to
> copy our own CDs to an iPod or such, because we own a physical copy of the
> media, giving us that right. If we sell it on, the buyer may not have
> those CDs, therefore, technically he has no right to the copied tracks.
> That's how the law sees it, I presume.

Also see:

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/29/0537213&from=rss

                Slashdot | Dutch Pass iPod Tax

Clearly, the government does not like the transition in the e way music is
traded. These moves are potentially backed and motivated by corporations
with interests. More latterly, the RIAA began targetting Google Video,
Youtube and other such services. Where there is free entertainment, there
has to be a spoilsport, even if most of it is free.

>> One of the many reasons why I have no patience for all this DRM and
>> associated crap. These laws are in place to allow the record industry et
>> al to rip the public off.

Since I saw it just moments ago, go and watch:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1647626314188526128&q=Linux

To save you the time, you probably just want to listen to the 43rd minute
onwards (maybe 2-3 minutes where DRM and public extortion is addressed).

> I dislike DRM, but I think they do have some form of case here.
>
> the trouble is, the law hasn't kept pace with the technology.
> Unfortunately for the comsumer, instead of making CDs cheaper, thus
> encouraging people to buy them, they've actually tried to put the price
> *up*, and then added all this DRM .

Once DRM is fully comprehended by the public, this entire DRM movement will
turn out to be suicidal. People buy records because they want to possess
media they cherish (forever, if possible).