Re: MSN Search down

__/ [ Brian Wakem ] on Saturday 17 June 2006 12:58 \__

> Haven't been able to search on MSN all morning.  Presumably they've blocked
> all NTL customers.
>

> We are seeing an increased volume of traffic by some malware software. In
> order to protect our customers from damage from that malware, we are
> blocking your query. A few legitimate queries may get flagged, and for that
> we apologize. Please be assured that we are hard at work on this problem
> and hope to get it resolved even better as soon as possible.

That's quite embarrassing. The search engine from Microsoft is choking on its
own product: a misjudged security model.

> If you are using phpBB, please check out the phpBB downloads site
> http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php and make sure you are not vulnerable.

Why do they warn people about a popular FOSS package?

> - MSN Search Team

Very odd... I wonder how malware can affect the search engines. Maybe mass
queries are hitting MSN. Maybe a Windows zombie attack directed at the
domain, which is a prime target to many. At least they eat their own poison,
which serves them right.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | SuSE, Mandriva, Fedora - Gotta love them girls
  5:05pm  up 50 days 22:19,  12 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.76, 0.97