Re: [News] New Version of Hybrid Ubuntu/OpenSolaris

On 2006-06-16, M <ihatespam.0.a101888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/Download
>>
>> ,----[ About Page - snippet ]
>> | NexentaOS is a complete GNU-based open source operating system built on
>> | top of the OpenSolaris kernel and runtime.
>> |
>> | It is a result of our inspiration and desire to build a great system
>> | based on the best existing software: SunOS kernel and GNU software.
>> `----
>>
>> They have apparently just shifted from Debian to its derivative, Ubuntu.
>
> It looks as if it is using a 'Breezy' installer. So if you want the latest
> version of (k)ubuntu and you are having install problems then this looks
> like a very good alternative. :-)

	Ok then...

	How does it deal with... random PC laptops, wifi cards, 3D cards
and fiber channel HBAs? To say nothing of GigaE NICS.

	Plus, if I am running a Solaris kernel, the nifiness doesn't come
from the kernel software but the fact that everything short of the application
software can be handled by a single vendor (namely Sun) in a very Macintosh
esque fashion.

	None of this, one vendor for the server, another for the OS,
another for the HBA, dependencies pointing back to the OS vendor again,
followed by a bunch of other vendors for the storage hardware.

--
...as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
	                                                         / | \