Re: Microsoft Excel Unspecified Code Execution Vulnerability

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Excel Unspecified Code Execution Vulnerability
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:09:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Linonut ] on Friday 16 June 2006 14:37 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Culley belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> http://secunia.com/advisories/20686

>>     A vulnerability has been discovered in Microsoft Excel, which can be
>>     exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.
>
> You can install Gnumeric for Windows, and get better statistics support,
> too!

There  are several other such packages that can be installed n Windows and
are FOSS.

No  wonder Bill Gates runs away. Well, if he had literally left today,  it
would  have demoralised the 'troops'. If he announced his resignation in 2
years,  people  would  say that he left as a loser. Nobody retires  at  50
despite  workaholism,  unless the job becomes bitter or aimless. Since  he
announces  his departure in advance, be sure that in 2008 we will continue
to  see  such  "very critical"  vulnerabilities  (probably  VB-attributed)
resurface. Only then will Bill be able to retire without it appearing like
an unannounced retreat.

His announcement delivers a much broader, 'behind-the-scene' story that is
disguised by something which calls for sympathy and warmth: charities (the
guilty conscience factor).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  3:00pm  up 49 days 20:14,  11 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.89, 0.96