Re: [Article] Google to do Government Search

> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Friday 16 June 2006 02:51 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> In other non-related news, Bill Gates is set to retire. The current
>>> CEO was said to need a replacement, so the future looks
>>> uninterrupted for Google. Unless Yahoo can pull something off...
>>
>> Uhm, Gates retires, the man who is responsible for every bug in XP?
>>
>> *cough*
>>
>> I wonder if a MS without Gates is that good.
>

> Joel Spolsky puts it:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Ozzie is smart but not in the same class as Bill Gates. And it's
>| really Ballmer that needs to go.
> `----
>
>                 http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/06/15.html

OTOH, it's good that someone as Ballmer hangs around, it makes the other
MS people hopefully think a bit :-D.

>> Also, I wonder if a Google replacing MS is a good thing.
>
> I am not sure either, but standards will at least prevail more widely.

What standards? W3C hasn't published a single standard. While MS has a
part of .NET as an ECMA standard.

Talking about w3c, ever had a look at the crap Google spits out?

Google makes up their own "standards" remember the wonderful "nofollow"
invention...

> There will be choice (on the desktop).

The Google desktop you mean?

> They will need to interoperate
> (play nice) with other Web services though.
>

>> "Don't be evil", I mean, why does a company need to say that?
>
> It's Brin's way of saying "we are not like Microsoft. If you don't
> like Microsoft, stick with us". This appeals to a large audience,
> so...

A large clueless audience and the typical fanboy crowd, sure. Google is
just the new Microsoft, if Microsoft lets them, which I doubt.

--
John                Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/

Textpad quick reference card (pdf):        http://johnbokma.com/textpad/