Re: Four Mobile Phone Makers to Create Linux Platform

__/ [ asj ] on Thursday 15 June 2006 16:17 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6083883.html?part=rss&tag=6083883&subj=news

>> If this is not proof of GNU/Linux taking over, I don't know what is...
>> Nokia, Palm and others are no exception.

This news is everywhere...

http://www.personaltechpipeline.com/news/189401435
http://www.theinqauirer.net/?article=32434
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6083883.html
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060615/tc_pcworld/126109
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060615/wr_nm/telecoms_linux_dc

[and still counting as I go along from site to site, feed to feed]

> Symbian is by far the dominant mobile OS worldwide and don't see that
> changing soon, although tons of linux phone shipments to china, which
> has the largest mobile subscriber base in the world holds hope.

There was at least one recent study which suggested that only Windows and
Linux shall survive in the mobile market, i.e. Symbian and others will die.
I believe this may be the case on the desktops and in the server room as
well, but Apple and UNIX will retain presence for quite some time.

> As always, Java ME is the application platform for all these devices.
>
> *Posted from my u know what...

Yes, nothing is wrong with Java... on Linux! Putting Java on Linux is like
putting some fine caviar on your shoe and sucking it.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
  4:20pm  up 48 days 21:34,  11 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.16, 1.12