Re: [News] Closed Source Eatser Eggs and Oddities

__/ [ Jim ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 17:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Funny: How to Break Windows Notepad
>>
>>         http://www.wincustomize.com/articles.aspx?aid=117870&c=1
>>
>> This comes to show that mischievous programmers are given freedom to
>> vandalise an application. About 10 years ago, Word/Office spellchecker
>> suggested the words "I'll Drink to that" as correction to "I want to kill
>> Bill Gates", as far as I can recall.
>
> Excel family:
> http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/eastereg.htm
>
> A few database easter eggs (including Access 97/2000):
> http://databases.about.com/od/productinfo/a/eastereggs.htm

I was going to reply and say that resources are wasted against the client's
will. Just before I did, I found the following in the former Web page:

,----[ Quote ]
| The word on the street is that Excel 2002 does not contain an easter
| egg. Apparently, Microsoft has received complaints about the waste
| of resources and file bloat.
`----

So, yes... it's about time they got rid of these idiotic conditional
statements in the code. If it was Open Source, the programmer would get
crucified. It's like leaving your own mark on a project, for vanity to
friends and peers (as in, "look what I planted in Excel back when I worked
in Redmond"). With interpreted languages, people get criticised for
excessive in-line documentation, which contributed to cruft and slows things
down.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
Cpu(s):  20.0% user,   3.8% system,  16.3% nice,  60.0% idle