Re: Who is behind Ubuntu?

__/ [ xp_newbie@xxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 22:54 \__

> I just finished installing and configuring Ubuntu 6.06 on my newly
> purchased Lenovo 3000 N100 - and I must admit: I have never seen any
> Linux distribution like this.
>
> I mean... I have installed and test drove LOTS of Linux distributions
> (and definitely used and have been using all versions of Windows) but I
> have never seen anything as EASY to install, configure, update and
> maintain as Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> It is so polished and so user friendly that I cannot avoid the obvious
> questions:
>
> 1. Why aren't people flocking to Ubunto in Zillions, dumping Microsoft
> which seems to being becoming more and more greedy?

People are resisting change, by nature. That's just why. If they need to
change applications, they worry.

> 2. Who are the talented people responsible for the level of
> professionalism exhibited in almost every piece of Ubuntu? (I know
> "open source" and all of that, but same "open source" is available to
> RedHat, which clearly hasn't done a job as good as Ubuntu)
>
> 3. Is Ubuntu a commercial company? If so, who funds it? Google?
> Microsoft?

Canonical is funded by a multi-millionaire entrepreneur called Mark
Shuttleworth. Ubuntu is a fork (derivative) of Debian Linux.

> I am very curious.
>
> Oh and by the way - if you go to a Ubuntu support forum (
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org ) asking for help, you will receive help in
> a matter of minutes. That's right, MINTUES. This is faster than calling
> by phone to the tech support of some large corporation, waiting only to
> speak to some human-voiced robots...
>
> Unbelievable!

The diagnostic utilities in Linux often make it easier to fix. In certain
circumstances, the path to resolving issues in Windows is a re-installation
of the O/S.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
  1:05am  up 48 days  6:38,  10 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.87, 0.74