Re: OT: Fedora battle!!!

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 22:04 \__

> It might be OT; it might even be a self-defeating troll; I dunno what it
> is, but it definitely is a raging war, over on the fedora-list at
> redhat.com/mailman.
>
> I read the Fedora lists through Gmane mail2news gateway, and while
> clicking back and forth between COLA and fedora-list - just for a second
> there, I thought I was reading a flame war on COLA, Nope - there's blood
> on the floor over at Red Hat.
>
> I suppose the Wintrolls will say "Oh look - this is the end for Linux"
> ... again, like they do every time there's any in-house bickering.
>
> There's been a fair bit of anti-Microsoft sentiment coming from
> Microsoft (ex?)-evangelists lately, and although I completely agree with
> them, in the name of balance and fairness - let's not forget that we too
> can have our differences.
>
> Oh, and don't take it too seriously; it's not advocacy, but it does
> liven up an otherwise dull day.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-June/thread.html
>
> Subject: "FC4 or FC5"
>
> The archive lags behind the live feed somewhat, and so doesn't do it
> justice, but you get the idea.

Nothing out of the ordinary, K. In SUSE, it's the power struggle (sometimes
even a fight) between the big company which took over same ol' SuSE and the
community (OpenSu/USE). There was a large thread called "We, the community",
just before the release of OpenSuSE10.1.

As a whole, the mailing lists are healthy and productive. Bugs are being
reported, patches are offered, and announcements are made. Never blow any of
this out of proportion. Linux appeals to an IT-savvy crowd that very well
understand what it gets. Naturally, it gets involved quite deeply and
becomes more critical than 'sheeple' to whom Computers=Windows (i.e. no
choice is available).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
Tasks: 146 total,   2 running, 138 sleeping,   0 stopped,   6 zombie