Re: [OT] Old Ears

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 07:26 \__

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5483203

"On the front page of yesterday's New York Times, "A Ring Tone Meant to
Fall on Deaf Ears." It's about an invention from Britain called the
Mosquito Teen Repeller, a device that sends out a high-pitched tone that
most adults can't hear (audio). The intention was to disperse groups of
teenagers with the annoying noise, but youngsters quickly figured out how
to use the high frequency signal as a ringtone for incoming cell phone text
messages. Kids in classrooms could hear the tones, but the older teachers
couldn't."

Sneaky little bastards :)

Here's the sound if you want to try:

http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/atc/atc_teenbuzz.mp3

You can test your sensitivity to high-pitched sounds on-line:

http://www.ochenk.com/entry.php?id=63

My threshold is 17000Hz with the window open and street noise comming in, 18000Hz with the window closed, and 19000Hz with the PC fans switched off. In a room quiet enough so that I can hear the blood pumping through my own veins, I could probably manage 20000Hz,

Not bad for an old fart, and a head-banging old fart at that.

-
K.