Re: [News] G(NU)oogle Set to Smash eBay(.dll)?

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 08:03 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Goodbye eBay, here comes GBuy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | BIG-BOOTED Google is preparing to launch a system for handling
>> | online transactions.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32349
>
> GNUoogle?
>
> Did you coin that term?

Unless somebody else beat me to it. *smile* The DLL, by the way, is inherited
from eBay's URL structures, which reflects on some underlying technologies
(they use Linux too, by the way).

> If so, hats off -- it's the funniest thing I've heard today.

Google have been GNU fans from day one. Brin was doing work on a latex2html
convertor and programmed parts of Google in the Open Source Python ,as far
as I can tell from his academic homepage.

They use GNU/Linux (Debian I assume) in their datacentres and GNU/Linux on
their engineers' desktop (Goobuntu, a Ubuntu derivative (Debian derivative,
targetted at desktops)).

This makes them a perfect opponent to Microsoft. They demonstate a victorious
battele involving large-scale task, as well as successful independence from
the mainstream of computing ("mainstream" with its unflattering
connotation). Some of the world's most novel computing tasks (e.g.
genome/DNA sequencing, automated reasoning, search engines) are handled by
Linux clusters. Windows only joined the party a few days ago. And it'll be a
Pooper.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  5:45pm  up 46 days 23:18,  10 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.66, 0.57