Re: [News] Microsoft Gets Deeper in Mud Over Spying Allegations

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Big brother Microsoft is snooper than I thought

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Microsoft is admitting to pulling even more information from
| your PCs -- such as your IP address and date and timestamp data "relating
| to systems' booting and continued operations." In addition, Jones shows
| how Microsoft essentially tricks users into agreeing to all this without
| giving them any chance to say no to the entire process. `----

check Groklaw as well. Long article and plenty feedback on the issue there.

QUOTE
<----------------------------------------------------------------------------
No doubt many of you saw on Slashdot the article "Microsoft Talks Daily With Your Computer" or in Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols article for eWeek titled, Big Microsoft Brother, about allegations that Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool phones home daily to report information to Microsoft about you on each boot. Lauren Weinstein broke the story on his blog. Microsoft has now put out a statement, asserting that the Windows Genuine Advantage tool is not spyware, that they're going to change it some, and that one thing that distinguishes it from spyware is that they get consent before installing it. I question the accuracy of the statement.

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://dotware.co.uk