Re: Totally OT: Apple are idiots

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 11:56 \__

> Maybe it's because I'm in a bad mood, or haven't been sleeping well
> because of the heat; I dunno, but I just got a Newsletter from Apple (I
> bought an iPod - doh!), with *the* stupidest thing I've ever seen:
>
> "This Father's Day, say it with iPod"
>
> And a box-out on the right, with a photo of the back of an iPod, with
> the inscription:
>
> "Dear Dad, Sorry I crashed the car"
>
> OH   MY   GOD   !!!
>
> What a *brrrrilliant* idea!!!
>
> Remind your father, every day for the rest of his natural life, that you
> crashed his car ... with an inscription on the back of a gift,
>
> Perfect.
>
> Apart from anything else, don't these marketing morons ever stop to
> think that maybe, just maybe, there might be people in the world who
> might be a tad upset about being reminded every fucking year that it's
> Father's day, when their Fathers have long since passed away.
>
> I mean, you don't get that crap at Christmas, do you?
>
> "This Christmas is the perfect time to remember that everyone in your
> life you've ever cared about is dead. So sit back and join the fun
> on channel 123 as we laugh laugh laugh our way through hours of family
> fun".
>
> I hate advertising, with a passion that goes beyond human capacity.

You have my full sympathies. Marketing is one of the least fruitful, least
necessary thing on our planet, right next to the middlemen sector (banking,
real estate, et cetera).

I adamantly believe that any company which has an advertising/marketing
department is employing it at my own expense. For that reason, for instance,
I try to stick to on-line companies (let me talk to the machine if it is
feasible) and I am uninterested in pricey physical or non-physical (e.g.
software) products.

It is not marketing that adds to quality. Marketing only gives an illusion.
It's development, skills and passion that make a good product; not monetary
rewards and expenditure.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
  1:25pm  up 46 days 18:58,  10 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.85, 1.91