Re: Hey Erik....Why Not Launch the Torpedo???????

On 2006-06-12, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Has the original artist contacted Roy and asked him to take it down?
>> Haven't seen any indication of that. If he can't be arsed to do so it
>> doesn't seem to be particularly important...
>
> Are you seriously saying piracy is ok if you're not personally contacted by
> the copyright owner?

 Yes, that's *exactly* what I'm saying.

 Now that we've gotten the sarcasm out of the way (what, you thought I
was serious?) maybe we can actually talk here. Copyright infringement is
*not* okay, but there are degrees. Roy did not claim the work was his
own (which is why the charges of plagiarism are obviously baseless) and
indeed linked to the original author explicitly. This alone indicates no
malicious intent.

 This happens a *lot* on the 'net, and the conventional wisdom is to
treat it as something akin to free advertising. It's still best to get
permission first, of course, but in the normal course of events this
isn't depriving the artist of any income.

 Now, once the artist had been appraised of the situation, did he
contact Roy? That is an indication of his perception of the situation -
infringement, faux pas, or traffic driver.

 The original posting was definitely a mistake, but I have seen no
indication - whatsoever, even from the trolls - of a *pattern* of
similar behaviour on Roy's part. I have also seen no indication - from
*anyone* - that he refused to take it down despite the request of the
artist, which to my mind would be a far more serious infraction.

 Basically, I fail to understand why this is such a big deal. A
regrettable mistake, but not the crisis you and others have presented it
as.

 Here, if you really want to attack someone, hit me up for this:

 http://ingles.homeunix.org/presos/quake/index.html

 Look at those header graphics. I'm using Id Software's graphics! Heaven
forfend! You'd better let them know right away that someone is referring
to them with instructions on how to run their games on Linux, helping
them to sell their games!

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                          (313) 227-2317

  One of the real motives for the invasion of Iraq was to give the
   world a demonstration of American power. It's a measure of how
 badly things have gone that now we're told we can't leave because
 that would be a demonstration of American weakness. - Paul Krugman