Re: [News] G(NU)oogle Set to Smash eBay(.dll)?

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 12 June 2006 13:20 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Goodbye eBay, here comes GBuy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | BIG-BOOTED Google is preparing to launch a system for handling
>> | online transactions.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32349
>
> The main problem I see with google is that many of the tools other than the
> basic search engine are very specifically for the American users. I'm not
> anti-american but it makes each of them less useful, even useless, for us
> Europeans, and believe it or not Google, there are other countries in the
> world that have computers too japan, china, india, I believe that even
> Australia has one.
>
> Examples,

I very well remember this one:

http://zed1.com/journalized/archives/2005/09/16/gmail-features-not-for-the-british/

> Maps - America only (not even covering Canada)

Not true. This was only true for a few months, after it had been launched.

> Transit - America only.

Haven't explored it, but it'll extend as the market is there. It's the
'half-baked' release syndrome. Like Google Suggest, or even Spreadsheets
(with the perpetual, endemic "Beta" label).

> Finance - America, with the hilights of other markets, but no details.

True.

> Froogle - in most searches you get hardly any none US companies. Even if
> you end your search string with UK as in 'climbing boots uk', as you might
> in a normal google search, you just get US companies that happen to stock
> UK shoes.

In the UK, use 2020Shops or DealTime. Froogle is still a joke. With GBuy,
they'll find better ways to make money /themselves/, just as they learned to
exploit UseNet or channel users to AdSense sites.

> and so it carries on through the list.
>
> I can't see anything that suggests that GBuy will be any more international
> than their previous tools. So ebay needent worry at all.

eBay began in the States as well. It expended gradually. It's like a plague.
I can infect one continent at a time and gain strength as it expands
exponentially while people say "Google Schmoogle" [1].

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] http://www.emolecules.com/doc/google_vs_chmoogle/index.htm

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
  1:45pm  up 45 days 19:18,  10 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.34, 0.25