Re: [News] Ubuntu Upgrade Effortless, Say Users

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Monday 12 June 2006 13:10 \__

> On 2006-06-12, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Users report Ubuntu Upgrade effortless
>
>  The upgrade on my machine was *not* effortless. I bounced around for a
> while until I remembered that the guy who'd set up my computer initially
> had accidentally set one drive to LBA mode and one to CHS. Grub doesn't
> like booting from the CHS drive, so I have to make sure there's a small
> /boot partition on the LBA drive. Once that was set up, it was easy.
>
>  (I should finally be getting a DVD burner for Father's Day. Maybe I'll
> back up the CHS drive and reformat it in LBA mode...)

I have about 200 GB of spare space, on a 10MBit connection (up 24/7). If you
want, I can set you up an account to 'scp -r' back and forth. Just let me
know...

>  Got a video to make for my cousin's kid's graduation. Lots of photos
> scanned in, now I've gotta get them to 4x3 proportions. ImageMagick and
> the Gimp to the rescue! Finished a bunch last night, hopefully I'll get
> the rest done tonight. Being able to script most of the steps helps a
> lot.

Yes, I know just what you mean. Here's one among several such scripts that I
use:

,----[ Bash ]
| for file in ls *.bmp
|  do
|   echo ${file}
|   convert ${file} -resize 600x400 +profile "*" ${file}.eps
| doen
`----

PixelPlua, which use to come bundled with SuSE (before it became SUSE and got
Genview), has batch processing facilities as well, incorporated into the GUI
as menu items. It's a point-and-click exercise which applies GIMP-like
goodies /en masse/.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  1:30pm  up 45 days 19:03,  10 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.13