Re: Ubuntu 6.06 may suck, but Linux rules

  • Subject: Re: Ubuntu 6.06 may suck, but Linux rules
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:03:53 +0100
  • Jlaforums: I am NOT a "Guest", I am BANNED from JLAforums but they STILL archive my USENET posts!
  • M$-windows: Bullmanure-enhanced.com
  • Machine: #1, drive 2
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on Mon, 12 Jun 2006
03:45:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz posted this:

> __/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 12 June 2006 03:08 \__
>
>> mlw wrote:
>>
>>> I have been posting that (k)ubuntu nuked my machine and that I was, to say
>>> the least, disappointed. I am, in fact, pissed off at (k)ubuntu, I think
>>> they jumped the gun, shipped with bogus errors, and worst of all, knew the
>>> degree of the failure and shipped anyway.
>>
>> I just don't buy the whole Ubuntu thing.
>

> KDE and Ubuntu 'mixtures' have always been somewhat unreliable. It was over a
> year ago that a colleague of mine said KDE on top of Ubuntu (not Kubuntu)
> was not as predictable and reliable as Ubuntu with GNOME, which is what many
> developers are working on vigorously and testing/patching, along with the
> users community.
>
> Kubuntu used to be a somewhat (or wholly) independent project which only
> emerged only later on. It needs some love from Canonical and finally it gets
> it. A month or two back, Shuttleworth wore a KDE T-shirt and expressed his
> plan to nurture and care for Xubuntu and Kubuntu. nUbuntu is left out of the
> equation for that time being. Something tells me that Google help report and
> fix Ubuntu bugs as they are dependent upon Goobuntu on their desktops
> (probably GNOME, if not a mixture of DE's).
>
> There are several more Ubuntu derivatives at the moment and I can't recall
> which one began taking Ubuntu as its base code, dropping Debian in the
> process (make a derivative out of the derivative of the original parent).
>

>> http://www.opensuse.org
>>
>> Get Real.
>>
>> Get 10.1
>

> I like SuSE as well. If you like KDE, SUSE will be better, I suspect. Until
> recently, SuSE (and Novell SUSE) were KDE-based; all else were
> unconventional, 'off the hook' options whereas KDE was default. If you like
> GNOME, Ubuntu might be more mature than SuSE with GNOME, but I can't testify
> on this...

Now Novell appear to have sorted out the problem with "zen" & the
"zen-updater" in SuSE 10.1, it's a good distro. However, because of the
earlier problems with those two apps, I haven't yet upgraded my two SuSE
machines, & am still running 10.0 on them, which I find solid & reliable.
I notice too, that some repositories have changed. For example, my local
mirror at the University of Warwick Centre for Scientific Computing
(http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/csc/) only carries SuSE GNOME updates.

ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/suse/i386/supplementary/

The SuSE KDE repositories (according to the README) are now at:
http://software.opensuse.org/download/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/

http://software.opensuse.org/download/repositories/KDE:/Backports/

I assume other mirrors are following suit...

--
www.jlaforums.com steals usenet newsgroup posts, & misleads the public
into thinking the posts come from their own forums. THEY DON'T!