Re: Ruby on Rails Community Expands

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:09:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/OpenSourceProjects
>
> Very quick growth for such a new framework. I heard it was even better than
> PHP (a friend from the EFSF).

Better is subjective.  I don't like PHP for a number of reasons (no strict
type checking (hell, almost no types at all), no way to force apps to only
use declared variables, etc..).  Ruby is a fantastic language, and I'll be
much more inclined to use it when it can interoperate with other languages
(such as with Ruby.NET or IronRuby).

Rails is a different story, though.  It's true that Rails gives you a lot
of power, but it does so by forcing you to follow their methodology.
Sometimes that's good, but sometimes it's bad.  Rails certainly has some
nice features, and I expect many of those to be adopted by other languages
and frameworks like Java and .NET, but it's really such a niche player at
this point due to lack of industry support.