Re: European Commission on illegal forced sale of Microsoft OS with notebooks

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 02:56 \__

> __/ [ dafyddabiago@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 00:04 \__
>
>> Hi,
>> Here's the first reply from the European Commission to my complaint
>> about not being able to buy NOTEBOOKS (the reply only mentions PCs)
>> without having to buy Windows.
>

> Honestly, it does not seem as though your were highly successful. However,
> more complaints like yours could get them to examine further. Moreover,
> when the time comes to investigate antitrust violations, more fuel will be
> thrown into the fire.
>

>> I should get a more formal reply in around two weeks (concerning the
>> official complaint against Belgium for failing to protect consumers
>> from the 'illegal forced sale of Microsoft with notebooks').
>> dafydd
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Dear Mr. Ferguson,
>>
>> Thank you for your email dated I7 June 2006 to the Consumer Officer.
>> This email relates to the possibility of purchasing PCs without a
>> preinstalled Windows operating system.
>>
>> The Commission is aware of the difficulties encountered by consumers to
>> purchase PCs without an operating system on them or alternatively with
>> another operating system than Windows.
>>
>> As regards the possibility of purchasing a PC without an operating
>> system, I understand that Microsoft's licensing agreements with PC
>> manufacturers encourage (through the grant of rebates) the
>> pre-installation of operating systems on PCs. However, this does not
>> have to be a Microsoft operating system. The Commission is not aware of
>> any obligation either contractual or financial, obliging the PC OEMs to
>> sell their PCs with Windows operating systems in particular.
>>
>> Furthermore, it appears that the choice of a PC vendor to offer PC with
>> or without an OS is not so much influenced by the rebate offered by
>> Microsoft than by the existence of effective consumer demand for PCs
>> with operating systems. We suspect that the structure of the market and
>> demand from consumers is the driving force behind the decision by PC
>> vendors to offer Windows preinstalled on the majority of their
>> computers. If this is information is confirmed, the conduct of PC
>> manufacturers would be justified by pure commercial reasons and may not
>> fall under the provisions of EC competition law.
>>
>> That said we have not yet finalized our review of the market and are
>> grateful that you took time to inform us of the problems you have
>> encountered. Against this background, I would like to take this
>> opportunity to inform you that the Commision intends to examine these
>> questions in greater detail in the future.
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>>
>> Angel TRADACETE COCERA
>>
>> EUROPEAN COMMISSION
>> DG Competition
>> Director Directorate C: Information, Communication and Media
>> B-1049 Brussels
>

> The chicken-and-egg scenario is a factor here, too. Microsoft knows this
> [...]

Update: just spotted your message in

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2297897#post2297897

You sure get around. But I like it! Spread the word while the flame is
alight.