Re: [News] EC set to fine Microsoft £1.4 million/day, draft ruling due Monday

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 16:19 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 15:43 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> arachnid <none@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Roughly one week after Independence Day, Europe declares the beginning of
>> its own independence. Intersting...
>
> Without the French firing a single shot!

Stallman might change that, as some very recent news may indicate:

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=data_control_and_ip&articleId=9001468&taxonomyId=144

        Stallman: Take French copyright battle to the streets
        Copyleft legend wants the youth to mobilize on DRM

>>> I've seen hints of this elsewhere.  I don't imagine MS will pay, though,
>>> and I suspect that they'll go to the US government to try to put
>>> pressure on the EU that way.
>>

>> Bush delivers public announcement: "The Europeans can deploy an army of
>> risotto within 45 minutes. We shall defend ourself from such offensive
>> cuisine."
>
> Hehe!  Macdonalds produce some pretty offensive stuff of their own, of
> course... talking about food, I was at the Ecaudor game;  the only beer
> in the stadium was American budweiser (not the real stuff from Czech) -
> I've never been so relieved to get out of a stadium!

What? No good? 1-0. Portugal in a coupla days... or maybe it was just the
beer that made you feel too queazy. Speaking of which, I'm out drinking
tonight. I'll post news items just before I leave and as soon as I wake up,
of course.