My Mac and Ubuntu :: The biggest disappointment

  • Subject: My Mac and Ubuntu :: The biggest disappointment
  • From: "tab" <trentallenblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Jun 2006 07:20:53 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The biggest disappointment was in finding how difficult it is to set up
Ubuntu to use my Mac's graphics card. My Mac has an ATI card, and to
use its full capabilities you need a proprietary driver you can get for
free from ATI, but they don't supply it for Linux on the PowerPC Mac.
(This is the case with a lot of the proprietary software available for
Linux on the ordinary PC, including the Flash player: they don't bother
releasing a version for Linux on the Mac.) Essentially, I'm left with
standard 1024x768 non-accelerated graphics, on the eMac's built-in
screen, which in my case has a nasty blotchy background, the reason for
which I never found out, which is why I acquired a second monitor a few
months ago. Of course, I'm not planning to use Linux for any heavy
graphics work; if I had any interest in that, I have Mac OS anyway, but
not being able to use your hardware properly because someone is sitting
on the software that makes it work is irritating.
http://www.blogistan.co.uk/blog/mt.php/2006/06/23/my_mac_and_ubuntu