Re: Small lightweight Live CD.

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Wednesday 28 June 2006 13:12 \__

http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/archives/20060623_dsln_damn_small_linux_gets_bigger.phtml

>> Puppy is growing to be a dog, size-wise and requirements-wise. It even
>> includes Opera 9, which unlike SeaMonkey, supports the most modern
>> standards, but raises the minimal resource bar. I guess there is a novelty
>> tradeoff which, in due time, will make old hardware obsolete.
>
> I would suggest that as floppy drives become obsolete, perhaps these
> mini-cds would start replacing them? Personally I still use floppies,
> mostly to try out GRUB configurations before writing to the mbr. That way,
> I know the already installed os(s) will still boot. :-)

Many workstations no longer come with floppy disk drives (1.44"), as Mark
pointed out earlier this morning. This no longer applies to low-end models
and laptops where size is a premium factor, either. The assumption is that
USB media and networks obviate the need for soft and by-all-means-exposed
magnetic storage that's expensive (per volume), slow, and ineffective.

If floppies were introduced as a novel technology tomorrow, they would be
ridiculed. But the same principles apply to anything in technology and
design, which must always remain state-of-the-art in order to be admired.
One day we will laugh at the possibility of setting up a new partition --
one which runs that insecure and fragile O/S once called Microsoft Windows.
Pondered about Acorn recently...?

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - yesterday I found a redemption to the absence of a 1.44-inch drive in my
home computer (it took 10 months to mind). 10 quid bought me a card reader,
which I can use inconjunction with SD cards which I have had for years. All
my floppies are in storage, far from reach.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
Cpu(s):  20.3% user,   3.6% system,  17.6% nice,  58.5% idle