Re: [News] Towards a Few Main Linux Distributions?

__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Wednesday 28 June 2006 09:46 \__

> In article <1455656.qkVedSnOou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> A GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros
>
> When you are doing a Linux distribution, it is generally pretty easy to
> satisfy the requirements of the GPL.  You won't hit any of the hard
> cases--it will be all under the easy cases that pretty much anyone can
> understand with two minutes of actually reading the GPL.
>
> Getting the license requirements taken care of is one of the basic things a
> distribution should do.  The only chilling effect here will be on
> distributions that should not exist in the first place.

This reminds of me an article/post that I came across only a couple of days
ago:

http://www.apcstart.com/site/admin/2006/06/498/roll-your-own-linux-for-and-against

                Roll your own Linux: for and against

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
 10:00am  up 61 days 15:03,  12 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.88, 1.14