Re: [News] Java to be Open-Sourced Within Months

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 28 June 2006 01:00 \__

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/27/79685_HNsunopensourcejava_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/27/79685_HNsunopensourcejava_1.html

> Ooooh....I'll be looking forward to that! :-)  Also, some other hackers
> (I am using the term correctly here!) will probably munge on the
> codeset to produce some very interesting hybrids, such as a Gtk-based
> AWT or Swing system that is indistinguishable from native tools.
>
> We'll then see which is better: SWT or these modifications.

I thought the same thing. There could be great benefit in unification with Qt
and GTK, among others. Swing is not all that graceful in Linux (I am not
entirely sure about Windows, either), but it's something that Sun have been
working to improve (can probably hunt down a relevant link).

By the way, to a certain level, Java can use the GTK settings, yet no become
an integral part. I can recall reporting some GTK anomalies (bugs) to
RSSOwl. There are apparently some function calls (variables or methods) that
can communicate with the GTK setup on the local machines.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
  9:45am  up 61 days 14:48,  12 users,  load average: 2.51, 1.86, 1.65