Re: [News] Red Hat CEO on Linux as U.S. Standard

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Dell has already announced that Linux should be treated as "industry
> standard", so it will not be perceived as a hacker's/hobbyist's O/S.
>
> Red Hat CEO Says Linux Could Become U.S. Standard
>
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1982623,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

This is a bit like stating that grass should be considered to be
definitely grassy.

Source-code, by its nature, is a superior standards-writing language
than English (or French or Spanish), as it can be compiled directly
using compilers onto multiple, different, platforms.

Since protocols, applications, programmes and so on are state-machines
stuck together in different ways, then the use of source-code to write a
state machine makes total sense.

A loop in this gets formed at about the point where the language and
compiler are defined.  A recursive definition at this point is very
difficult, but these two items are truly fundamental.  Again,
traditionally, the view has been that just defining the language is
enough - this is wrong, as the compiler is a key part of the standard.

Once the compiler and language are defined, then any number of objects
containing multiple state machines can be written, and become standard
if the source is GPLed  - just look at debian.

As I say, this kind of seems like stating the obvious to me, but perhaps
there are times when the obvious needs to be stated.

Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.