Re: [News] Towards a Few Main Linux Distributions?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ TheLetterK ] on Wednesday 28 June 2006 00:00 \__
>
>> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:49:04 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> A GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/23/1728205&from=rss
>>
>> I'm all for open source software--but I'm strongly opposed to the FSF
>> going after good faith violations like this.
>
> I suppose you could project the same view in relation to that XGL Live CD. It
> received plenty of criticism, but it serves as a good 'recruitment tool'
> nonetheless. It is also built and maintained for no profit, as far as I can
> tell.

I think that many people would be against the FSF chasing violations of
the GPL, as many people would prefer to see an end to the GPL.  The
licence is clear, the opportunity to make use of such an enormous
code-base is fantastic, and the rules are clearly visible to all.  The
FSF has the need to ensure that it's rights are respected by all,
otherwise it's likely that in the end, it will lose them.  If someone
has made a genuine mistake, then there should be /no problem/ fixing it,
should there?

Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.