Re: [News] Linux to Rival Video iPod

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 15:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:51:01 +0100
> <1316111.Tfhgml9Gkx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Music publisher/distributor ships Linux PMP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A "hybrid" music entertainment company with several revenue models says
>> | it is shipping its first portable media player (PMP). Titan Global
>> | Entertainment's "Omni" PMP runs Linux, has a 4.3-inch QVGA display,
>> | and offers standard media recording and playback features, according
>> | to the company.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9400496044.html
>>
>> Have a look at the stunning picture.

Just discovered the following new PMP unit, which is Linux compatible:

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.3417

Very similar, I am urged to add!

> Cute little beastie, but how big is it really, compared
> to one's hand?  Also, is there a distro named "Liux"
> out there or did someone typo the OS?  :-)

I noticed that typos as well and thought to myself "we all deserve to have
our typos sometimes". It makes us seem very human (and mortal/erroneous, in
a good way). Speaking of which, I know I have plenty of typos in my messages
because I typically refuse to re-read my text.

> The copy does mention that it has a "4.3-inch QVGA
> display".  So presumably it would be something one can
> hold onto with the left hand as one's thumbing the controls
> with the right.  (Is there a left-handed version?)

This reminds me of same of issues that are attributed to the ultra-mobile
PC's. The nice thing about my Palm Tungsten (data loss this morning *frown*
[1]) is that you can navigate and do merely anything with just one hand (PIM
at least), unless you need to scribble. It was engineered to make this
possible. In/famous jokes would say it's the ideal handheld for pr0n. *LOL*

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/06/27/loss-of-data/
(published 10 minutes ago)

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
  3:10pm  up 60 days 20:13,  11 users,  load average: 2.01, 1.57, 1.32