Re: [News] IT Skills Shortage is Bogus; Linux Skills Desperately Needed

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/E5F071C651225E16CC257196001A0BF6?OpenDocument

>>> It's tricky this, because it will cause arguments. But my experience
>>> of NT
>>> types coming into UNIX or Linux shows that they struggle a great deal.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>

>>> Retraining students that learnt on one of those courses to work on
>>> Linux is
>>> not going to be easy at all. They will not learn more as they work, they
>>> will learn how to put more of it into practice, but if something breaks
>>> outside of that small experience, then its yet another call out job.
>>> .
>>>
>> It's not just these courses though, it's the way schools teach about
>> computers.  In the early 1980s, schools taught computing, they taught
>> what a computer was, what an operating system was, what an application
>> was.
>>
>> Later in that decade it became compulsory to teach all students computer
>> literacy, so schools dropped the computing classes and started teaching
>> which buttons to press to change the pretty pictures on screen.
>>
>> We used to regularly get school leavers coming for job interviews
>> already proficient in two or more programming languages, and often
>> having built their own computer from a kit.
>>
>> Now? Now they know how to type dozens of emoticons, but have no idea why
>> they were invented.  They can write a document in word, but only print
>> to the default printer.  If you ask them what parts make up a computer,
>> they'll say the hard drive, keyboard, mouse and screen. Bah!
>>
>> Sorry, rant over.
>
> dude, you got some sort of super-duper education system in your
> dimension. These days school leavers barely know where the power button
> is. Unless it's daddy's machine and they're away, scripting like demons
> and spending nonexistent cashmoney on useless crap like Pokemon cards or
> Teletubby bibs from eBay.
>
> Not that other curricular subjects get even a look-in... my son's school
> has had instruction (from me) to keep him /off/ their machines, he
> spends entirely too much time on his mother's Mac (tho he does have his
> own laptop) - weekends, it's literally from when he wakes up to when he
> goes to bed. Sheesh. But, at least he can write, and spell, and count
> (and do complex BODMAS calculations in his head), unlike his Cartoon
> Network-addled peers. Oh yeah, and he can type pretty fast, too.

We seem to have started a Grumpy Old Men club :)

But still, your right too, my neices and nephews come round, so I get the
football out. But only me and the dog play, they all go inside on bleeding
gormless video games. Turns decent kids into zombies, ok some of them
started as zombies.

Then when their parents eventually order them outside to play with uncle
Bob, because he's playing all on his own (even the dog got bored), they
couldn't score a goal in a million years if I didn't let the odd one
through. They make me go in goal because they say I don't play fair and are
a little worried because of a few previous accidents.

But like I told my sister, the brother in law had plenty of time to move out
the way before I actually landed, after slipping in the mud. If he doesn't
have the sense to move when he is layed on the floor looking up so can
clearly see me coming, then its his own fault. And thats what I would tell
Judge Judy too, with national health then all he could sue me for anyway is
the limp, but everyone knows that a limp adds character.