Re: [News] WinFS Dies (And Yet ANOTHER Feature Conceded)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:29:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> I won't link to MSDN, so here is the blurb (or gist):
>
> WinFS is Dead

Yep.  Here's the chance for all you "I told you so" types to sit around and
cackle with glee while rubbing your hands together in anticipation of how
much milage you get from this.

The simple fact is, after years of development, The WinFS team just
couldn't create a workable product.  It's not like we haven't seen this
before from others, such as the Taligent system between IBM and Apple.

It looks like they're canibalizing it for the technologies they've created
and rolling them into other parts of the OS.

The thing is, I don't really see this as a huge issue anyways.  Oh, it's
certainly a bellwether mark, but frankly it's become clear WinFS was a
solution in search of a problem.

Other search technologies have proven to be effective, without the huge
overhead that WinFS was likely to require.  You don't get the nice
queryability of what WinFS was promising, but Apple and others seem to be
getting by without this pretty well.  Vista will contain search indexing
services similar to Spotlight and Beagle, but it will not have WinFS.

So, by all means, let the "I told you so's" begin.