Re: [News] Windows Attacks One-Million Dollar Homepage

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows Attacks One-Million Dollar Homepage
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:11:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Then he got a call from his web host, Sitelutions which warned him
> | that he had been hit by the largest DoS attack the outfit had
> | seen.
> |
> | The move was a shot across the bowels

Shouldn't that be "a shot across the *bow*"?

http://www.maritimepirates.com/jargon.html

Although I'm sure that shooting him in the gut would've been equally
effective. :)

> | from a group of Russian hackers called Dark Group which felt they
> | should have a cut of the action.  Such groups are usually backed
> | by the Russian Mafia and if they don't win then their bosses tend
> | to make them offers they can't refuse.

'Bout time the international law makers and governments did something
about these scum.

> | After a few emails they demanded more than $50,000 to go away.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32246

> Botnets, as usual, exploit vulnerabilities in the Windows operating
> system.  This raises the hosting bill, takes down Web sites, and
> opens the door to crime.

Still, the *root* of the problem needs to be tackled.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 10:09:54 up 6 days, 10:26,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00