Re: Windows XPlosive

  • Subject: Re: Windows XPlosive
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 22 Jun 2006 18:56:24 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ian Hilliard wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550
> >
> > Yes, the machine was running Windows (it's a Dell, after all).
>
> I know that my laptop burns my lap through my trousers if I run Windows. So
> much for being a "Lap Top" computer.
>
> It is bad enough with XP. Just wait until Vista comes out. There will be
> laptops exploding all over the place.

Roy posted a link earlier that made an interesting comment related to
this thread (and the earlier mega-battery life claims.)

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/16/79142_25TCsled_1.html

<quote>
Novell hits a desktop home run with SLED 10 - SLED 10 offers unmatched
ease-of-use, polish, and hardware support.

SLED 10 isn'?t perfect. Power management is still an issue for Linux.
My laptop appeared to run hotter and drain the battery faster than when
running Windows, despite Novell?s claims of improvement in this area.
</quote>

As far as the whole "exploding laptop" issue goes... there was a
special segment on the news here in Boston (Fox-25) where they talked
specifically about laptops catching fire. The story aired last week.
Conclusion: The batteries keep getting smaller (in order to keep the
weight down) but they still put out large amounts of power.
Power/smaller-size = more heat per cubic-inch which results in fires.