Linux $5.7 Billion global sales in 2005 (was Re: SCO Loses in China as Linux Gains)

  • Subject: Linux $5.7 Billion global sales in 2005 (was Re: SCO Loses in China as Linux Gains)
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:56:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 22:22 \__
>
>> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Quote:
>>> --------------
>>> The Linux market in China continues to grow, according to a new
>>> research report from IDC. And it is apparently growing partially at the
>>> expense of Linux nemesis SCO.
>>>
>>> IDC's "China Linux 2006-2010 Forecast and Analysis" report pegs the
>>> compound annual growth rate for 2006 to 2010 of Linux in China to be 34
>>> percent, bringing revenues to $51.1 million.
>>>
>>> In 2005, Linux revenues grew by 27 percent over 2004 reaching nearly
>>> $12 million. However, Linux revenues in China are still a very small
>>> part of Linux's overall global sales, which according to IDC, were $5.7
>>> billion in 2005 worldwide.
>>> ---------------
>>> End quote
>>>
>>> http://www.internetnews.com/stats/article.php/3599931
>>
>> Yay!!  Screw SCO!! *Linux cheerleading here*
>
> The following article was very popular (largely cited) a couple of months
> ago:
>
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/50004.html
>
>         Linux Set to Soar in China
>

> What's more:
>
> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/06/03/2003311446
>
>         Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly
>
> The Chinese market share is the largest one to be won, unless I am mistaken.

Just thought I'd highlight the huge marketplace out there in
linux-driven sales in the subject.  If IDC are claiming global sales of
nearly $6bn for 2005, with growth rates at 34% in some countries, then
this market is going to absolutely blossom.

There've been a lot of articles asking how money could be made from free
software, and similarly, a lot of posters here claiming that there isn't
any to be made (silly lolbilly!!!! springs to mind as the biggest
contender there).  I'd like to pose a different question, one which has
real meaning - how will anyone compete with free software?  Or perhaps -
have we seen the end of lock-in?

We all declare for liberty, but in using the same word we do not all mean
the same thing.
		-- A. Lincoln