Re: [News] Linux Used in Drug Discovery Experimentation

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ Jim ] on Thursday 22 June 2006 15:53 \__

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Computing for a Cure

,----[ Quote ]
| To create the simulation, SUNY Stony Brook uses an SGI Altix system with
| 1024 Intel Itanium 2 processors. It runs on Linux and has 3 TB of
| memory.
`----

               http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6260/1/

The most I have ever used were 35 Pentium 4's. Easily manageable from one
box via SSH.

holy crap, could you imagine playing Doom on /that/?? :x

http://mhg.planetquake.gamespy.com/

I have come across one with an array of 16 (4x4), or 25. It needs a good GPU
though, unless you can parallelise the code for the different CPU's (needs
code redesign).

Either you render more pixels, which is somewhat useless because of the
distance you take as a viewer (squinting most likely), or you have a go at
global illumination, which for 24 FPS is hard, even with generous resources.
Imagine interactive sequences with quality as high as this <
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64831 > (Blender 3D).

I currently play UT2003 GOTY on a dual-panel setup* (Dell 15" TFT) at 2048x768 out of a GeForce FX6200V+ 256MB. Framerates are up there in the hundreds, I reckon it'd stretch to 2536x1024 on a pair of SXGA panels and still maintain 70+fps. One of these days I'll upgrade my current pair and try it out.

*well, it was a cheaper option than forking out for a pair of projectors...

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://dotware.co.uk