Re: Micro$oft Office becomes even more irrelevant

  • Subject: Re: Micro$oft Office becomes even more irrelevant
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:57:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Au79 ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 19:10 \__
>
>> chrisv wrote:
>>

>>> http://spreadsheets.google.com
>>

>> Very, very nice!
>
> Overrated, in my humble opinion. Similar things have revolved 'in the wild'
> for quite some while (at least a year as far as I know, through /.). I have
> had a spreadsheets Web-based application for almost a year on my site, as
> there are Open Source PHP equivalents which are free (and offer privacy from
> third parties, Web host aside). The investor of the spreadsheet will soon
> have his own version, too.

That probably won't affect the public perception, though.  The public
tend to choose the names that they know (this is often the advice given
to the public, and in the main, is probably reasonable), and they know
google very well indeed.  This means that an online spreadsheet from
google will likely become popular, whereas a superior one from an
unknown source will not.  Microsoft have been relying on this for years
for Windows, as it survives for no other discernable reason, indeed,
there are many reasons why it should be dead already (reliability,
security, viruses, malware, stability, bloatedness, performance, cost,
limited platform support, short support cycles, etc.).

We all declare for liberty, but in using the same word we do not all mean
the same thing.
		-- A. Lincoln