Re: [News] Microsoft Picks Creative Commons, EULA Conflicts

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> An Odd Marriage: the Creative Commons-Microsoft Tool's EULA
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Creative Commons has announced that you can download a tool now
> | from Microsoft that will attach a Creative Commons license of your
> | choice to any Word, Excel or Powerpoint document. As much as I
> | appreciate Creative Commons, I think you should look at the EULA
> | and read it carefully before you say "I do."
> `----
>
>         http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060621211919623

This "add-in" is very b0rken.

1. The "Creative Commons Validation Assistant" doesn't start.
2. The "Creative Commons Genuine Advantage plugin" doesn't start.
3. Saved Documents contain no DRM encryption.
4. The "add-in" doesn't crash.

This is obviously b0rken and I demand my money back immediately.

Having inspected the "source" carefully, I think I have isolated the
problem:

1. Replace all occurrences of the word "flexible" with the word
"proprietary".
2. Replace all occurrences of the word "freedoms" with the phrase "no
warranty".
3. Throw in a few "we reserve the right" and "you may not" phrases at
random locations.

There, much better.

Ooh, ooh, don't forget to mention the word "Cuba". We don't like Cuba.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 12:09:11 up 4 days, 12:26,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00