Re: [News] $100 Laptop to Debut Within a Fortnight

  • Subject: Re: [News] $100 Laptop to Debut Within a Fortnight
  • From: Sinister Midget <phydeaux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:59:22 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2006-06-20, The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
><spam@xxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:31:40 +0100
><ddvkm3-2fg.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> > Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up
>> >
>> > ,----[ Quote ]

>> > `----
>> >
>> > http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302
>>
>> Millions of OLPC Machines running Linux.
>> Millions of Sony PS3 machines running Linux.
>> Governments all over the world switching to Linux.
>> The Server Space remaining staunchly *nix.
>> Vista shipping years late, a shadow of its former self.
>> MS Stock flushing down the toilet.
>> Windows Evangelists jumping ship.
>> Microsoft Management bailing out.
>> Microsoft staff brooding; dissenting; leaving.
>>
>> Big Billy tries to brush it all off with a quip.
>>
>> It'll take more than snide remarks to stop the ship from sinking,
>> Billy, not that I (nor you) care anyway.
>
> I'm not sure if the ship is sinking yet but it's definitely
> sprung a leak. :-)

There are holes down below. Everybody has been on the deck partying,
including the crew, and nobody's wondered if there could be a problem
down there.

It isn't salvageable any more. But those onboard won't recognize the
fact until the water reaches their kneecaps. Or higher.

The other problem is, they thought they were unsinkable, so they left
off the lifeboats to make more room for dancing.

> However, with a cash-on-hand of $33.51B and a profit of $13.47B,
> this ship will go down very slowly...

But go down it will.

> And it's a pity, since we do need some more competitiveness in the
> desktop market.  Maybe patience is the watchword here?  I wish I knew.

Real competitors will have a chance in a free market. M$ will be
replaced by a fair number of them once the haze clears from the
collapse brought on by internal decay of the M$ crapware empire.

--
What a gorgeous day. What effulgent sunshine. It was a day of this sort
the McGillicuddy brothers murdered their mother with an axe.