Re: Reducing a digital jpeg photo to smaller size suitable for the web

  • Subject: Re: Reducing a digital jpeg photo to smaller size suitable for the web
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:05:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
__/ [ Craig ] on Wednesday 01 March 2006 07:07 \__

> Jeffery Small wrote:
>> Animesh Kumar <animesh1978@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Use photo management packages that are aimed at production for Web sites. If
you have access ti Linux, you may have this capability built-in. Konqueror
can resize these automatically (Tools -> Create image gallery...), in 'batch
mode'. If you install a package like Gallery, it will handle sizes rather
well too.

>>>First crop the piece of interest using <keyboard>Shift-C</keyboard>
>>>Then use "Scale Image" under Image->scale-image.
>>

>>>Select cubic interpolation for smoother scaled-image.
>>

>> Animesh:
>>
>> Thank you for the clear instructions.  Works great!
>>
>> Regards,
>
> On a related note;
>
> I'd like to use Gimp (v2.2) to do this for batches of jpg's.  Currently,
> I've found some pretty easy gui-driven apps (irfanview & photo resizer)
> but would prefer to stick with Gimp.
>
> Any tutorials out there? (gui preferred but cli workable).

See the CLI-based solution below.

__/ [ David Hodson ] on Wednesday 01 March 2006 07:38 \__

> Try David's Batch Processor at:
>    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html
>
> (although it seems to be down right now ... what's that about?)

If you have ImageMagick (free software), you could use the following as an
example:

for file in ls *.jpg
 do
  echo ${file}
  convert ${file} -resize 800x600 +profile "*" ${file}
done