Re: Hosting - advice needed please

__/ [ Mr. Polzek ] on Thursday 02 March 2006 17:07 \__

>> __/ [ Mr. Polzek ] on Thursday 02 March 2006 16:46 \__
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am quite new to web design and so on, and need some advice on hosting,
>>> particularly which provider to choose.
>>>
>>> 1) Which one do you recommend, personally use? I have been thinkin abou
>>> 1&1
>>> as they've won so many awards..
>>>
>>> 2) As I am going to have up to ten websites, what kind of package allows
>>> host more than one? If it says '5.co.uk domains', does it mean 5 aliases
>>> or
>>> 5 completely separate websites?
>>>
>>> 3) On 1&1 there are 'hosting' and 'ms hosting'. What is the difference? I
>>> can't tell from comparison as they both seem to look the same.
>>>
>>> Any advice will be appreciated, as basically I'd like to avoid choosing
>>> wrong.
>>
>> Many hosts are lurking at alt.web.webmaster and perhaps alt.web.hosting .
>> They will give you a partially-biased advice, as will I:
>>
>> http://catalyst2.com/
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>
> These groups are not on my news server, unfortunately :/
> This must be my ISP's fault.
>
> Anyway, thanks.

The first of the two is a very popular and authoritative newsgroup. I am
surprised that your ISP does not aggregate it. [conspiracy theory] Maybe
they are tying to keep you away from something? *smile* Either way, they'll
continue to live a lush in some small dive, and there they'll be while they
rot with the rest of those whose newsserver's empty too (Strayhorn)

Best wishes.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
  5:25pm  up 1 day 13:03,  7 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.35, 0.25