Re: Ellison: OSS Needs Big Vendor to Thrive

__/ [ Liam Slider ] on Friday 03 March 2006 14:35 \__

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:42:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> | "Open-source becomes successful when major industrial corporations
>> | invest heavily in that open-source project,"
>
> I think he's got it backwards. Companies get interested and invest when an
> open source project becomes successful enough to grab their attention.

Among his latest acquisitions of Open Source companies, he also tried to grab
MySQL. The last time I heard, Intel and IBM did not initiative MySQL. Mind
you (or him rather), MySQL was shown to be better than databases from IBM,
Microsoft and Oracle in a recent benchmark.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
  4:05pm  up 2 days 11:43,  7 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.41, 0.46