Re: Office 12(2007) Could Drive Users Away to OpenOffice

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 16:48:03 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7262994355.html
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "Microsoft's Office 12 is coming, and eWEEK's Peter Galli has found that
>| even shops that believe in Microsoft products -- the fools! the fools! --
>| are having doubts about it and are thinking about other alternatives."
> `----
>
> In reference to:

>    [Page title: How Disruptive Will Office 2007 Adoption Be?]

I think this is best summed up with this comment from the article:

"Since we don't know enough about the benefits of Office 2007, we have not
yet developed any plans to move forward."

All most users know so far is that screenshots show a radically different
interface.  Few of them have actually USED the new interface, so can't
really make a judgement on whether it will require a great deal of
retraining or not.

While the interface is very new and radical, I personally found it highly
intuitive.  It focuses on making features easier to find, but the WAY those
features work hasn't really changed.

I think the concern over retraining is more of a tempest in a teapot fueled
by the unknown.