Re: Need feedback for research article

  • Subject: Re: Need feedback for research article
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 03:58:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ lesjkajski ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 19:07 \__

> Ryan Pedersen schreef :
>> I am a freelance writer writing an article for a trade magazine that
>> will attempt to showcase the virtues of Search Engine Optimization. I
>> have been reading the new groups a lot and thought that you folks
>> might be willing to help me.
>>
>> If you can spare a few moments please comment on the following
>> questions. You can answer them all or only the ones that you feel are
>> important. You can reply to this thread or email me directly. Any
>> comments that are used in the article will be credited back to the
>> author in the article. Please include your full name and a URL that
>> you would like to have printed with your comments in the event that
>> they are used. Thanks for your time.
>>
>> Based on your own experience how long does it take before you start to
>> see the effects of a SEO campaign when you don't pay for keyword
>> placement?
>
> depends on location, target and age of site

I concur with Ryan on that one. It's like asking, how long does it take a
company to attain its first million? What size is the company? You can't
quantify it in terms of numbers, but you could make up some rules of thumb.

>> Does your average SEO campaign involve ad words or other paid forms of
>> keyword ranking?
>
> that's SEM
>>
>> What are the top 3 - 5 problems (biggest first) faced by SEO experts
>> today?
>
> i find the biggest problem is the fact that you can manipulate the
> SERP's by only focussing on getting and exchanging links.

This is probably a bigger problem to search engines, actually.

>> Please describe the long term benefits of a well executed SEO
>> campaign.
>>
> long term SEO? that's also a problem ...

Short term benefit: site gets better positions in search engines and thus
more traffic. In the long term, the competition and the new generation of
ranking algorithm can annul the effect of SEO campaigns. SEO exploits
deficiencies and weaknesses of algorithms _at present_.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:50am  up 4 days 23:28,  12 users,  load average: 1.10, 0.86, 0.74