Re: Can some editor be extended by hash-colour-highlighting?

  • Subject: Re: Can some editor be extended by hash-colour-highlighting?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 05:39:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ Anton81 ] on Tuesday 07 March 2006 16:35 \__

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if with some editor's plugin capability I could implement:
>
> - highlighting of identifier words in a programming language (i.e. not
> reserved words)
> - colour calculated from letters of the word (so that the word always gets
> the same colour)
> - feature toggled by button
>
> The purpose is to quickly spot certain variables or check the structure of
> some repeated lines. For example
>
> X1=Y1*Z+Y2*Z
> X2=Y2*Z+Y1*Z
> will come up as a nice pattern if each of the variables has it's own
> colour.
>
> Maybe Nedit or Jedit?
>
> Anton

Kate (KWrite to be more punctual) has an open-ended mechanism for colour
highlighting. I have seen some nice implementations for P/L's like MATLAB
and even scene descriptors for particular computer games. If you wish to
implement anything as such, KDE would probably be the extensible choice to
stick with. There are many existing plug-ins in existence (simple to install
too), but I am not familiar with many. Have a look at kde-apps.org and its
sibling sites.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432
  5:35am  up 7 days  1:13,  9 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.32, 0.43