Re: ODF "Exclusive" says Yates

  • Subject: Re: ODF "Exclusive" says Yates
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 04:40:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Dodel ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 20:11 \__

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:50:25 UTC, B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> -> "Alan Yates, general manager of Microsoft's Information Worker Business
> -> Strategy in Redmond, Wash., this week accused the alliance, which he
> -> referred to as "Sun, IBM and their friends," of wanting to push the ODF
> as -> an "exclusive" standard to the detriment of all others, rather than
> -> enabling choice among formats like PDF from Adobe, Microsoft's OpenXML
> and -> HTML"
> -> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1934910,00.asp
> ->
> -> Fascinating.  That's in respect of a standard being supported now by
> some 35 -> organisations, which I assume can have input into its
> development if they -> wish.
> -> Also, what *is* this "PDF....and HTML" comment?
> -> Where oh where did any of these organisations show *any* opposition to
> PDF
> -> and HTML?  In fact, do OpenOffice, and StarOffice (from Sun) not give a
> PDF -> option, as well as HTML, whereas MS Office.......
> ->
>
> Typical m$ FUD.  And HTML produced from just about every word
> processor I have seen is full of garbage and needs to be cleaned up by
> hand.  And of course m$word is the one of the worst of the lot.
> Doesn't the latest m$word write PDF?  Guess its about 10 years behind
> the times. ;-)
>
> Mark

Earlier this morning, after I had been sent a Word document, I urged the
sender to upgrade to OpenOffice and use acceptable formats. Finally, he will
be able to export to PDF. He will actually be quite pleased about it.

I urge everyone to do the same upon receiving Office formats, which require a
Windows and Office licences, as well as installation. Simply re-use some
text and toss it at the bottom of E-mails to get the message across.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:35am  up  21:12,  7 users,  load average: 1.19, 1.01, 0.83