Re: How long before Linux runs on it?

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:35:23 +0000
<dupljf$1u1u$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ Richard G. Riley ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 16:15 \__

>> MS reveals new mini-pc device.
>>
>> X Windows running on it in 3 months, PIM management working 3 months
>> after that?
>>
>> It will be interesting too who buys this.
>
> The Nokia 770 has been available for almost a year. It is
> a big seller which recently had VoIP added (links on demand).
> This morning I exchanged notes with someone who had apparently
> ported Tunpaint to the Nokia. It's Debian-based, so should be
> rather rich in terms of the freely-available applications.
> Oh! And it's half the price of the Origami. *smile*
>
> Microsoft advocates themselves are making fun of the
> blog-generated hype over the Origami. It is no iPod
> killer. It is no killer at all. It's over-hyped,
> over-advertised DoA.

Depends on how well Nokia advertises *their* 770.

Clash of the Titanic Marketing Machines? :-)

I'm inclined to agree with you on the technical front,
though; this isn't a unit that excites me.  (Not much
excites me in the technical area anymore.  :-) )

One wonders what chips Microsoft put in there to try to
forestall "rogue" (freeware) operating systems, though.
They tried it in the Xbox; they might try it here.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because everyone wants a really slick-looking 8-sided wheel.