Re: New Live CD with XGL

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 18:01 \__
>

> >> I hear it can be quite slow at time, /not/ "as seen in the demo". Wobbling
> >> menus in particular can make it impractical for regular use. When enabling
> >> fade-in and fade-out transparencies in KDE, I can describe that as
> >> uimpractical as well. Look modern though.
> >

> > I downloaded the XGL videos from SuSE and this is exactly what I
> > thought and posted. Why would people want "wobbling menus" and
> > transparent windows? I may try the live-CD to get a first hand glimpse
> > but I don't understand the big fuss.
> >
> > There is nothing on the videos that looked like it improved usability.
> > I suppose it's neat that it can be done and I'm all for a modern
> > looking UI with lots of "eye candy" but this certainly isn't it. Why
> > would anyone want their menus wobbling and if I'm working in a window
> > (say writing email or surfing the web) then why would I want the window
> > semi-transparent where the underlying windows interfere with what I'm
> > doing?
> >
> > For some reason the "big features" of all the XGL stuff seems to be
> > transparent windows and wobbling menus.  How and why did this ever
> > become the new feature that everyone can't wait to get their hands on?
>
> Enable demoware. Show mates. Disable demoware. Return to work. Been there,
> done that. I still use translucency at times. It enables the user to get an
> illusion of depth and be able to penetrate underlying layers. Think of
> context menus on top of actual text.
>
> http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=35214

Funny comment that the first poster on that web-site made:

- "This seems as good a place as any to ask the question: what's the
big deal with translucency? Personally, I find it more a pain in the
ass than anything, but everyone makes it seem like it's the holy grail
of computing."

With all the computing power that's available, I really wish that it
would be put to better use than making windows transparent and menus
wobble. Surely there has to be something that can improve usability and
the computing experience more a wobbling menu.

> I find shadows to be the most useless, unless they help the user gain insight
> into the order of the windows stack, which they rarely do. Assimilation to
> reality is not always constructive.
>
> http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html
>
> This may or may not remind you of the days 'on campus'...

"Bob" was dead and buried by the time we arrived. But the jokes will
live on forever.