Re: How long before Linux runs on it?

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:52:05 +0000,
> __/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Friday 10 March 2006 00:23 \__

>> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:35:23 +0000,
>>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> __/ [ Richard G. Riley ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 16:15 \__

>>> The Nokia 770 has been available for almost a year. It is a big seller
>>> which recently had VoIP added (links on demand). This morning I exchanged
>>> notes with someone who had apparently ported Tunpaint to the Nokia. It's
>>> Debian-based, so should be rather rich in terms of the freely-available
>>> applications. Oh! And it's half the price of the Origami. *smile*
>>>

>> it's a *third* of the price of the origami, and smaller (and less
>> storage, etc)
>>
>> I love my 770, I'd be interested in the origami hw, but not the OS :)
>

> Screen resolution may be superior, but on a display that size, not many will
> be able to take advantage of high pixel density. The screen as a whole is
> bigger too, let's not forget, because the unit is much larger than the 770.
>
> As for processing power, is it truly needed? Sure, Windows XP needs some
> power because it's a hog.
>
> ,----[ Snippet ]
>| "For example, they (Microsoft!) show the number of CPU cycles needed to
>| 'create and start a process' as 1,032,000 for FreeBSD, 719,000 for Linux,
>| and 5,376,000 for Windows/XP.'"
> `----
>
> Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=459
>

>>> Microsoft advocates themselves are making fun of the blog-generated hype
>>> over the Origami. It is no iPod killer. It is no killer at all. It's
>>> over-hyped, over-advertised DoA.
>>
>> It's a bit largish, almost as big as a laptop, too big for a pocket, but
>> fine for a briefcase, etc. Awkward to hold in one hand, and use with the
>> other though. I suspect it will fare poorly, a little too costly, and a
>> little too big.
>

> A /little/ too big? Imagine switching on the 'beast' only to write two-word
> reminder+alarm. The Origami misses out the issue of practicality _entirely_.
> I can do that just fine with a Tungsten, within 2 seconds. I don't have to
> carry a 'man purse' either. A Tungsten fits in the shirt's pocket and, when
> needed, a folding keyboard can be pulled out of the other pocket.
>
> I am yet to find LifeDrive and Tablet PC users who actually get some work
> done, rather than stare at a brightly-lit screen, watching menus animate.

That's one of the things I love about the Nokia, it fits in a pocket.
Comes up fast from low power mode, lasts for a couple of days on a
charge, using it to read news every couple hours, or browse a website.
Uses std Nokia batteries, available most electronics stores/cell phone
stores.

Did I  mention it fits in a pocket? :)

To believe in gun control, one has to believe that guns are not an
effective means of self-defense, which is why police carry them.